Wednesday, October 15, 2008

More telly talk - Series 9

I read an interesting - and long awaited - review about Samsung's Series 9 today. TrustedReviews.com are thorough (and indeed trusted) and had testet the LE55-A956 model - the one I'm most interested in. (Yes, it's in fact a 55", but please don't tell Wife!! ;-)
9026-le55a956img3The really interesting feature here is of course the LED technology, in Samsung's implementation called Smart LED. With conventional LCD displays you can never turn the backlighting completely off, but with LED you can. An no light means absolutely black, and therefore they can claim contrast values with outrageous values like 2,000,000:1 . In addition to extreme levels of black, an added benefit of the LED backlight system is a wider colourscape, bringing more depth to the picture. The refresh rate is also supposed to be better.

The downside of LED, so far, is "extremely limited viewing angle". Apparently you should keep within 40 degrees viewing angle. I'm not sure if I would ever put guests outside such a range, but it does make me a bit skeptical. Another problem mentioned in the review which might concern me more is the lag between "lag between a source picture entering the TV and it appearing onscreen". What that means is timing problems when gaming, for example that you might not hit the turn at the right moment during racing. I do look very much forward to connecting my Xbox 360 to a new TV, so this might the decisive factor for settling with Series 8. After all, conventional LCD has come a long way by now, while LED obviously seem to suffer from some problems I can't overlook - even in it's 2nd generation.
I choose not to be an early adopter this time.

No comments: